//History
History 2018-03-16T23:17:55+00:00

The original architect of this building was John Bennie Wilson, a specialist in the Gothic style.

In February 1892 Wilson completed his work and the building became established as Hutchesontown Free Church.

The building experienced a popular rise as it became known as Victoria United Free Church. After a fire completely destroyed the building in 1929, it jointly became known as Crosshill Victoria Free Church based at 32-38 Dixon Avenue until 1971. There was also a designated war memorial within the church.

In 1971 the vacant building was bought by businessman and artist, Max Wallace. The building was converted to an art gallery and exhibition centre known as Maxwell Studios.

In the late 1990’s a mosque was established to provide the local Muslim community with a centre for gatherings, festivals, religious education and worship.

The mosque continued to grow and prosper and became known as Al-Farooq Education and Community Centre in 2016. Combining modernity and history has allowed the building to continue to flourish and has strengthened our aim of serving the community.

Loading...